My goals and plans: my journey and the road ahead!

Working at NIRMAN has shaped my career as an educator and has influenced my interactions with the people around me. It’s for this reason that I want to talk a bit about my time at NIRMAN, my goals as a teacher, and the future of education in Varanasi.

From my very first day at NIRMAN, I knew that this was the place I wanted to pursue my professional goals and develop my teaching persona. After interviewing with Nita Ma’am and being offered a position, I began an intensive training that challenged everything I previously knew about education and opened my mind to endless possibilities. The training was difficult. There was so much to learn, and I had never experienced anything like it before. There were quite a few new teachers, and others that had been at NIRMAN for years. And yet, we were all treated as equals. There was no discrimination against those of us who had a lot to learn. Instead, we were met with patience and understanding. My fellow teachers, and Nita Ma’am, were incredibly encouraging. It was clear that they were there to ensure that our classrooms would be run according to NIRMAN’s values.

Since this training, years ago, I have learned quite a bit about the education system – it’s faults and shortcomings, but also the endless possibilities it has for improvement. Ultimately, I believe that education should have a few foundational goals: personality development, equality, and integration. No child should feel isolated or discriminated against in the classroom, regardless of gender, caste, or socio-ecominc status. It is the responsibility of the teacher to ensure that this high standard is met, and I believe that NIRMAN does an exceptional job at reinforcing this. 

Unlike many schools in Banaras, we at NIRMAN strive to give every single student the attention they need and deserve. Every single child is prioritized. The teachers work endlessly to create plans for every single day: what will be done in the classroom, what homework will be assigned, and how learning can extend beyond the walls of the school. Further, I work to make sure that all of my students are well-rounded. Because I believe that this is one goal of education – to ensure that all students are capable of entering any field of study and succeeding. 

Working at NIRMAN has also taught me how to identify the greatest problems with our education system as it is. The majority of students do not receive the individual attention that they need, and we at NIRMAN are working hard to combat this. Classrooms should have size limits, and if these are exceeded, schools should hire more teachers to account for the excess enrollment. As teachers, it is our responsibility to ensure that no student gets left behind. Not a single one. At the same time, students must know that there is more to life than just studying. Going to school and learning should be fun, something students look forward to. Because this is how successful individuals are created. 

Teaching at NIRMAN has allowed me to truly grasp the importance of education, specifically a proper education, not only for students, but for teachers as well. If teachers aren’t equipped to deal with the problems of the classroom, students aren’t likely to be as successful. I am truly grateful that I have had this opportunity to develop my own identity as an educator, while also striving to empower the students and children of Banaras.


Jayanti

Teacher and Academic In-charge

Vidyashram-The Southpoint School.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts